Thursday, August 28, 2014

Rhu Bear Comes to the Forest


One morning (actually, Wednesday, August 13) a neighbor rang the windbell on 
the porch and said "I have this little guy and I want you to see him." I thought 
while walking outside - there is a perfectly respectable marmelade cat in her car 
and I will have a nice little kitty visit and say the kitty isn't mine. I told the universe - 
and everyone else that was suggesting I go in search of a cat - that I was NOT looking 
for a cat, but that if a little Maine Coon showed up on my doorstep, I would take 
it as a sign that this was my next kitty. So when I looked into the cat carrier 
in the car, just steps away from my doorstep, and saw this little mini Pasha cat 
looking sweetly out at me... well, that was that. 


Five days later, after I returned from a mini Maine getaway, Rhu Bear came to 
live with me. He is very sweet and affectionate and at first I thought rather mellow. 
Once he was a little more comfortable, the full-on kitten energy was revealed! He's 
been here ten days and has eased into life very gently. Except when crazed kitty 
comes out, he is very well behaved. I am well stocked with little balls, string, 
felted mice, balled up pieces of paper, and a ridiculous plastic thingie (a material 
seldom buy) with a ball trapped inside that he bats around and around the 
interior track. All fine, except that I didn't know the ball makes chirping sounds 
when it moves, so this toy goes to bed when I do. Rhu does, too, and sleeps all 
night curled into me, until I make the mistake of rolling over at 6 am... and the 
little guy begins his morning yoga and I know sleeping time is over. 



Because I took everything off the walls downstairs when the floor was going in, I 
decided it was the perfect opportunity to frame a few of my newer pieces and live 
with them. I'm enjoying the fern lamp with my fern drawing behind it, and in the 
photo below, one of my most recent forest paintings and an older spiral drawing 
above the chest. 



It seems important to live with new work, to get a deeper sense of the story being 
told and to look, daily, at where things might go. 



The month of August was a self-imposed resting time after so many house projects 
along with the renovations. What a gift to sit in the garden and read a book long 
after my morning coffee was gone, and to stretch on the mosses in the warm sunshine
while the dragonflies feasted on mosquitoes. I also had a lovely time getting used to 
cooking on my new, fancy stove. Wheeee, what have I been missing!


Outside, the gardens are overflowing with bees and flowers and the front door 
hosts a wonderful collection of moths. Much to Rhu Bears delight, the moths 
flit around the windows at night providing much entertainment. 







I am back teaching now, which means little Rhu is alone quite a lot at the start 
of the work week, but this ensures that when I return home in the evenings, 
I definitely do not have a cold neck.  




42 comments:

Sandra Dunn said...

Rhu Bear is one blessed cat.... what a sweet whiskery face he has! Looks like he's totally spoiled already. :) So happy for you.

Valerianna said...

The spoiling goes both ways, Sandra! :)

stregata said...

Looks like the universe knew exactly what you needed! Rhu Bear seems to be a very loving angel. I know his antics are keeping you smiling (aren't kitten antics just the best?). So glad that you two have found each other.

ELFI said...

quel joli compagnon nouveau! biz aux 2

Barry said...

Hi VA - so lovely to see RB in your life. The re-furbed house is looking great. The fern lamp brings the outside indoors. We are heading into spring and you into autumn - so it is good to see that life is still abundant. Go well and enjoy life to the fullest. B

Gwen Buchanan said...

A friend to keep company with is one of life's greatest comforts.

india flint said...

blessings upon you and the wee Rhu Bear

Lois said...

Oh so happy that you and Rhu Bear have found each other.

Mo Crow said...

oh this is such a good story V, Ariel sends purrs and headbonks of congratulations to both you & the Rhu Bear!

Starr White said...

It warms my heart to see so many good things coming together for you, Valerianna. Your new friend is adorable - he looks like quite a charmer! and your home is so lovely and inviting. I think my prayers for you have been answered :)

Valerianna said...

Yes, Stregata, I'd certainly forgotten that kitten antics are such good entertainment!

Valerianna said...

He's a little love...

Valerianna said...

You, too, Barry, and sorry I've been a less than attentive follower over your way these days. Lots going on!!

Valerianna said...

Absolutely, Gwen.

Valerianna said...

Thanks, India!

Valerianna said...

Me, too, Lois!

Valerianna said...

Sending purrs and headbonks back to both you and Ariel... and the Maine Coon cat chirpy thins, too!

Valerianna said...

Hi Starr - He's definitely charmer - at least when he's not pulling the dirt out of big, potted plants ( his only really annoying kitten behavior is eating plants and digging in the pots!) So its you I have to thank, well, there are a few more things on my list if I should send it your way to pray on!! ;)

jan said...

Well how bloomin lovely is that!
Good timing; when all the housework has been completed! No builders in to disturb your time together. A cat is the heartbeat of the house for me. I'm so happy your newly furbished house has a new heartbeat to echo throughout it. Love, joy, and fur xx

Valerianna said...

I have been thinking a lot about the timing of Rhu's arrival, Jan, and totally agree it would have been very challenging to have workmen here, in and out of the house, not closing doors, etc, when I have a completely open floor plan. Obviously, the timing was the only one that would have worked, thank you universe!

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

such Goodness in all of it. Life brings things, yes.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Valerianna!!! I can only be happy for both you and Rhu. The Universe sends us what we need, when the time is right. You have only to ask for it. Do you think that works for kitties too?
xx, Carol

Valerianna said...

Yes >^;^<

liniecat said...

It must be the moon lol
Ive just been suckered into homing a 5 month old kitten,
only to find he has a luxating patella and will need an expensive operation
hey ho
have fun with your new pal : 0

Valerianna said...

Maybe, Carol, Rhu certainly needed a home instead of the place he was trying to survive before he came here!

Valerianna said...

Oh, that doesn't sound fun at all! I just looked up what a "luxating patella" is. Hope the operation goes well and that whoever suckered you into taking the little kitty will help with the cost?

Sophie Munns said...

Welcome to little Rhu bear... a wonderful little fellow! How nice to see him and all your blooms and the delights of the forest life!

That new kitchen stove is fabuloso as a friend of mine says... Im sure that brings some joy to your days ... it was like that here when we went from a very worn out electric cooker to a beauty not so unlike yours!

Shall be in touch very soon! Great reading your news!!!
S

Valerianna said...

Yes, Sohpie, the stove is a wonder after many years of using an antique electric one with slow burners and one not working. What a difference!

Lunar Hine said...

Love to you both. What a happy meeting of spirits. And, yes, I have my work-in-progress on a table easel on my kitchen table so I can ruminate on my next move as I eat. I love your work.

Stripeycat said...

So so so happy to read this. Had been quietly hoping another little kitty might come into your life when you felt ready. Beautiful.
Anne.x

Caterina Giglio said...

oh my!! sending you a big hug! how nice to be in love again, with your Rhu Bear AND a new stove! How I envy you cooking with gas.. I am imagining your forest is changing quickly now and the flowers are soon to give way to the colors of fall.. thanks for these sweet images all.. xox

Valerianna said...

Hi Lunar! We definitely have had a happy meeting of spirits.. happy creating to you!

Valerianna said...

Not sure I felt ready, but obviously it was meant to be!

Valerianna said...

Hi Cat - cooking with gas, yes, I've been too long away, phew, what a pleasure to be back at that! Forest is changing and so is the weather, first fire of the season this past weekend, a bit soon!

Yvette said...

Happiness that's what I wantend so much for you!

layers said...

What a cute addition to your home and studio.

summertime dreams said...

Oh well now isn't he just a darling?! Definite "squee" inducing charms he has. What a little peanut. Oh my goodness he looks so soft and cuddly and companionable. I am so happy that you two found each other!

Ruthie Redden said...

How lovely is little Rhu and what a perfect way for him to come to you. I love that he curls up round your neck in the evenings. The spiral stones in my post reminded me of your spiral painitngs as soon as I saw them Valeriana!

Sharmon Davidson said...

I'm so happy to see your place looking lovely as always, and happy that you now have a sweet companion! Congratulations!

Suz said...

joy!

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Oh my dear Valerianna, how joyful that you and Rhu Bear have found each other! You both look smitten with each other, yes, he is a real smitten kitten!

I've been a spordadic blogger of late and I'm only just catching up with my favourite places. Oh its so good to be back over here! I'm going to work may way forwards with your posts, it all looks very lovely with the renovations to the cottage - I love your new door!

Jeanne
xx

Wyld Oak said...

Catching up after a long hiatus from reading/writing blogs and what a lovely surprise to find you have a Rhu Bear in your life. Very happy for you both, dear Valerianna!