Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Treasures from my mid-day wander....


The first dandelion bloom of the season, blossoming from the front walk, attracting attention of all sorts. Love the greenish curling lines in the center...


The incredible trout lily - since I have landed here, they are sprouting up everywhere. This one is also collecting insects. 




Rolling in the driveway.... gravel is wonderful for scratching backs....


Amazing pattern on a stick... rather snakey.


The garden fence before it is covered by twining vines and tall plants. 


The lonely studio beyond the garden, waiting for me to have time to re-enter, clean, organize and begin again! Its going to be spruced up on the outside this spring... a deep red barn color, contrasting with the red trim, or, the same red as the trim, a streamlined color scheme, or, a deep forest green, to blend in with the woods. I'm a Libra, its been all of these and more in my head... we'll see what it finally becomes.

The beech tree seems to celebrate the blooming of the vinca minor at her toes. The silvery tone of her trunk is enlivened by the periwinkle delicacy of the dainty flowers. Its buzzing with activity amongst the blooms today - mason bees, bumble bees, unidentified flying, spinning, crawling things on long stick-like legs, zzzz-ing winged things. The shriek of a high-soaring hawk and the tap, tap, tap-p-p-ping of the woodpecker filled the space between trees and clouds: between my morning and my afternoon. 






May be hard to see, but that's a mason bee on the vinca flower. Wild, native bees.... solitary and don't produce large quantities of honey, if I remember correctly. Our honey bees were imported from Europe, just like the red fox. The native American gray fox climbs trees and is therefore harder to hunt. Our settler ancestors needed their fox hunt... so, they brought the red fox. I could do with a little research to check my facts, but the light is fading and I must go get sir Pasha cat in for the night....Honey and the red fox.... lovely additions to North America, I think, if my facts are right....

No comments: